- Have you ever wondered where your food came from?
- Would you like to know how your food was grown?
- Do you care how your meal impacted the environment?
- Are small, local businesses important to you?
Rugged Root Farms is offering you the opportunity to enjoy two of our pasture raised chickens every other week during the summer of 2018. Our chickens live their lives outdoors, on our 19 Missouri acres, eating as much fresh green salad, bugs, and local GMO-free grain as they desire. We refuse to use any herbicides, pesticides, antibiotics, or drugs of any kind as a matter of principle. We do our best to ensure that they live happy, healthy, stress-free lives.
Rugged Root chickens are never given any drugs, antibiotics, or artificial hormones. We find that they aren’t needed if we make sure the birds have enough fresh air, sunshine, clean water, fresh grass, and bugs.
By joining this Chicken CSA you are supporting sustainable small-scale agriculture. We live on farm so we have a vested interest in raising not only these chickens, but all of our products, in a sustainable manner. A few ways in which these specific chickens will be raised sustainably… They will help to manage insect pest cycles simply by eating their food of choice (bugs). Their manure will fertilize the ground where we plan to start an orchard in the fall. Their supplemental, non-GMO feed is bought, grown, and prepared locally to support and build lasting relationships with small-scale farmers in our area.
The Chicken CSA will occur over 10 pickup dates with the first pickup planned for May 19th, 2018 and and the last on September 22nd, 2018. Two chickens per share every other week during this time period, a total of 20 chickens.
Pick ups will be determined based on interest level (e.g. St. Charles, Wentzville, Columbia).
We understand that life gets busy, and you may not be available for every pickup. One very good thing about chicken… it freezes very well. So, if you have to miss a pickup for whatever reason, let us know as soon as possible (before the pickup preferably) so we can freeze and hold your bird until the following pickup.
How buying a Chicken CSA share helps Rugged Root Farms:
- By joining this CSA, you are investing in our farm when we need capital the most, at the beginning of the season.
- You are helping to ensure that our hard work will not be in vain. Knowing we have the sales part of the job out of the way really helps by taking the pressure to sell off during the growing season so that we can really focus on raising the chickens in the best manner possible.
- You are “voting with your dollars” by investing in a farm that is striving to build a better future by working with nature rather than trying to conquer it.
One Chicken CSA share costs $360 for 20 chickens. Taxes are included. On average, we aim for our chickens to weigh a little over 4 lbs. Most will weigh more than 4lb, a few might weigh a bit less than that. We base our Chicken CSA pricing on a 4 lb bird. That comes out to…
- … at least 80 pounds of chicken
- …exactly $18 per chicken (taxes included)
- …less than $4.50 per pound (again, taxes included)
Why should you purchase a Chicken CSA share?
- Pasture raised chicken tastes better than store bought chicken. It really tastes like chicken.
- Our chickens can get over 6 pounds. By purchasing a Chicken CSA share, you’re locked in at the 4 pound price.
- You can save the chickens for another day in the freezer
- One bird can be used for several meals!
- Our favorite recipes provided.
You can sign up in a few different ways:
You can download the sign up form (found here), fill it out, and send it with a check to the address on the form by snail-mail.
You can contact us for an in-person meeting and we will be happy to take care of the paperwork for you.
You can sign up and pay by credit card via Paypal here below.